17 August, 2020 Filed in:
Eat better in lockdown – Tips on how to curb those cravings
Food and drink have been one of the few pleasures that we have still been able to enjoy during this lockdown and although the odd treat is fine, many of us are finding ourselves eating and drinking more, and have gained a few unwanted inches. Commercial weight loss programs simply don’t work long term, with most achieving limited and/or temporary weight loss. So here are a few practical tips on how to eat better in lockdown.
- Build your own food environment. The evidence is that the rise in obesity is linked with our obesogenic environment. So be aware of the foods you surround yourself by, and what you put on your shopping list, if you buy those Doritos chances are they will get eaten!
- Kitchen opening hours. If you easily succumb to snack cravings, try and stick to 3 meals a day and if you really need a snack make sure you have something nutritious on hand. Have a big fruit salad or veg sticks and nuts easily available . Meals can then be social focal points and it will mean less clearing up too!
- Eating speed. It has been shown that slower eaters release less of the hunger hormone than faster eaters. So, eat mindfully with your senses and chew well.
- Portion size. An obvious one, so try and only cook what you need, and try and fill at least a third of your plate at lunch and dinner with a variety of veg.
- Distraction activity – are you really hungry, or possibly bored or thirsty? Try drinking some water first and wait before you grab that snack. Find another activity you enjoy doing to fill that craving, go for a walk, get lost in a good book, whatever you enjoy.
- Be kind to yourself. There is nothing wrong in indulging occasionally and it is important to acknowledge that resisting what your appetite wants can be a challenge. Try applying the 80:20 rule – eating healthily 80% of the time, it can make you aware of how much better you feel when you eat well but allow yourself the food you enjoy.
For more information see my website and please do email any questions